31.8.17

Beauty in Asymmetry, Singita Sabi Sand


What caught my attention about this setting was the beauty of the asymmetry created by the position of the vase contrasted with the exaggerated sense of 'horizontality' of the table top. At the background, there are two horizontal lines - the wooden column of the gazebo and the tree to the left. The proximity of the vase to the wooden column creates another layer of asymmetry in reference to these vertical lines.

There is something to be said about the vase on its own too. The minimalism of the design and its earthy color is most suitable to the whole setting  - sun, earth, wood, greenery, and distant sky - and its attractive qualities.

Most importantly, I was there to see it all with my own eyes. Every time I see the picture, I am pleasantly surprised how the memory of that afternoon I took the picture feels fresh. It was a warm, serene, afternoon under a bright sunshine.



No comments:

Post a Comment